Saturday, July 21, 2012

祝你生日快乐,美国! Happy birthday, America!


Over beers back in June, I told my friends Ellen and David that America’s birthday was fast approaching.  They asked how Americans celebrate the holiday.  I decided to tell the sweet, Pollyanna version, and described many a summer day filled with burgers on the grill; watermelon-seed spitting contests; red, white, and blue tablecloths; and fireworks lighting up the night sky.  
Apparently, this Norman Rockwell fairytale sounded appealing, and they offered to host a 4th of July party in my, I mean America’s, honor.
David booked us an all-you-can eat BBQ dinner (in true American/excessive fashion), and Ellen sent out the invitations.
It’s strange, but for some reason, the rest of Taiwan didn’t observe this major religious holiday, so many of my friends had to work late and couldn’t make it to dinner.  But we hard-core patriots were present, along with our honorary Taiwanese-Americans.

Happy Fish of July.  Dang, I'm clever.

My memo about wearing red, white, and blue made a big impression.
(From left to right: Ellen, Megan, Me, Funny)

There were no fireworks, but the clams on the grill kept spitting hot clam juice into the air.  So, that’s kinda the same.  

Grillin'

Hosts with the mosts, David and Ellen

Did I mention the BBQ joint was also all-you-can DRINK?!?  Well, it was.  And I did.  And then I noticed David’s shirt. 

Uhmericahhhhh
And then we ate 6 cups of ice cream.  USA! USA! USA!

No comments:

Post a Comment